deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Light Show of Illusions
(07-01-2024, 04:04 AM)OneStepBack Wrote: I recently read the brain dumbs down what we actually see as the mind would not be able to grasp it in its entirety.  This is quite thought provoking. Maybe there are other colours that complicate things from our perspective so the mind blots them out.

I've thought about this before. Electromagnetic energy is all around us, but we are oblivious to most of it. If we could actually perceive it, it would be everywhere(muddying up our reality), but various parts of the spectrum have specific purpose or function that has nothing to do with aesthetics.

I'm not sure what other colors they might appear other than what we are already privy - can a color even be imagined that doesn't exist? The visible portion which is just a small slice right around the center yields everything from pure black(no colors) to brilliant white(all colors) and everything in between.

What else might be a little "thought provoking" is the fact that's it's all photons traveling in waves and how changes in the measurable properties of the wave yields all this different phenomena.

And the little voice is slightly prompting me to say that this is points for intelligent design over chance, but don't wish to start an argument here.
The Veil of Scale

One other thing worth mentioning here before someone else beats me to it, is that many phenomena with respect to our observable reality is obscured, including but not limited to most energy waves.

The "measurable properties" of some phenomena are just too minute to be perceived via the visual mechanism. With energy waves, not only are some of the wavelengths measured in nanometers or even Planck lengths, but also the larger waves being nothing but a flow of energy particles are imperceptible anyway; it's just that we happen to have a 'built-in' biological receiver that is tuned to a particular band of the spectrum where everything else is invisible to us(too big or too small), i.e. we don't get those 'radio' stations.
(06-28-2024, 05:04 PM)CCoburn Wrote: The Light Show of Illusions

Isn't it weird that color is nothing but an illusion? Or, more precisely put, it's the end result of the decoding of waveform data, which I sometimes poetically refer as the serpent and the rainbow - the sine waves and frequencies of the optical color spectrum.

So if color is just some superficial illusive property created by the interactions of light energy with its material counterparts(bosons and fermions), then what other illusive properties might take root a bit deeper in forming our reality of things that at face value appear to be so objectively concrete but ultimately and metaphorically turn out to be nothing more than just another light show?

Of course, the dimension of 'feeling' does add another layer of perceptibility here.

Solipsism will kill you if you let it.

I have always rolled my eyes at those pesky consciousness problems. Photo receptors evolved to percieve. What we percieve exists regardless. It's some undefined waveform but it exists for anything to interact with it.

Our mighty perception arose from stardust. I think amino acids form in a cosmic soup. Panspermia doesn't need to travel beyond the system it forms in. All amino acids in our solar system were part of that cloud 4.6 billion years ago, IMO..

What I think is missing is like "chi." That's where my design preference comes in.

It's gotta be thermodynamic law. Like increase in disorder in a closed system includes increase in complexity where able.

Perhaps the same mechanisms of disorder that drive an organized chaos to seek equilibrium is the "life force" that commands even the mitochondrial fission. As all a splitting organelle is, is an increase in disorder.

I don't see too mystical of a light show behind organic perception, but I do see the misunderstood mark of intelligent design.

Only for me, intelligent design is the existence of thermodynamic and causeless universal law, so a deist disambiguation is needed.
[Image: 6qxPamS.jpeg]
(07-02-2024, 06:39 AM)CCoburn Wrote: I'm not sure what other colors they might appear other than what we are already privy - can a color even be imagined that doesn't exist?

Just me thinking outside of the box.

Quote:What else might be a little "thought provoking" is the fact that's it's all photons traveling in waves and how changes in the measurable properties of the wave yields all this different phenomena.

I find this very interesting. Something for me to explore.
.. an upbeat cynic

My Avatar: AI-generated "Peter Cushing in the style of Johannes Vermeer"