deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export controls on quantum computers?
During the cold-war, a treaty was conceived between nations which feared the belligerency of their neighbors, it was called the CoCom, (Coordinating Committee for Multilateral Export Controls,) because it was focused primarily on the Cold-War era, it had to be re-established in a less focused state, leading to what is now called the "Wassenaar Arrangement."

The Wassenaar Arrangement (1996) was meant to provide some transparency for the spreading of military technologies across the globe, who was engaging in it, and to what extent.  Giving the multinational organization some platform to address the outcomes of such practices.  Eventually, of course, computers was added to the otherwise obvious list of tanks, ships, weapon systems et. al.

But here's something interesting...

From NewScientist: Multiple nations enact mysterious export controls on quantum computers
Subtitled: Identical wording placing limits on the export of quantum computers has appeared in regulations across the globe. There doesn't seem to be any scientific reason for the controls, and all can be traced to secret international discussions

Secret international discussions have resulted in governments across the world imposing identical export controls on quantum computers, while refusing to disclose the scientific rationale behind the regulations. Although quantum computers theoretically have the potential to threaten national security by breaking encryption techniques, even the most advanced quantum computers currently in public existence are too small and too error-prone to achieve this, rendering the bans seemingly pointless.

The UK is one of the countries that has prohibited the export of quantum computers with 34 or more quantum bits, or qubits, and error rates below a certain threshold...

Interestingly, the appearance of the same exact wording throughout each members national regulatory documents seems indicative of something which merits explanation.  Even if it is only to deny that there is some globalist author who directly influences various different governments operations... sort of like how governments should not "dictate" what form and content media reporting can and cannot have.  I suspect this has to do with the fact that "high-level" government and multi-government institutions should only regulate what they understand, and not have to be told that "these are the words you must say," (or at least acknowledge that the words came from somewhere else.)

France has also introduced export controls with the same specifications on qubit numbers and error rates, as has Spain and the Netherlands. Identical limits across European states might point to a European Union regulation, but that isn’t the case. A European Commission spokesperson told New Scientist that EU members are free to adopt national measures, rather than bloc-wide ones, for export restrictions. “Recent controls on quantum computers by Spain and France are examples of such national measures,” they said. They declined to explain why the figures in various EU export bans matched exactly, if these decisions had been reached independently.

I would wage that all 42 of the nations who declare themselves participants in the Wassenaar Arrangement will adopt the exact same language to limit quantum computer 'exporting.'   All without addressing the logic behind the proscription.

“I have no idea who determined the logic behind these numbers,” he says, but it may have something to do with the threshold for simulating a quantum computer on an ordinary computer. This becomes exponentially harder as the number of qubits rises, so Monroe believes that the rationale behind the ban could be to restrict quantum computers that are now too advanced to be simulated, even though such devices have no practical applications.

As a 'conspiracy theorist' I'm wondering at the applicability of the idea that this will strengthen any "monopolistic" control of quantum computer dissemination and capitalization.  If this isn't actually a cabal-derived manipulation of the system to ensure that money remains within certain circles.
Any worry about quantum computing is far eclipsed by the thing people should really be worrying about, and this is Artificial Intelligence.  When you couple quantum computing and A.I. together, well, then you really have something to be worried about.  But the difference is, A.I. can destroy civilization with or without quantum computing.  The same cannot be said for quantum computing without A.I.

The other point I think is important to note here is...there is an assumption baked into this whole export of quantum computing (or restrictions thereof), and this is the assumption that the countries wanting to control these exports believe they will be the ones to invent it.  If they aren't the ones to invent or refine it, then they will be the ones on the wrong side of the export restrictions. 

I haven't really been able to come to a conclusion about the realities of quantum computing.  That is to say, I can't decide on what impact it will have on mankind, if any, in a notable fashion.  I think the verdict on this is still out.

In an abstract sense, think of it this way...if I tell you I can come up with the answer to a question before you think up the question, then how much will you trust my answer?
I'm inclined to disagree with your aversion to the development of AI.  But I will grant that dangers abound within that field, assuming the driving point of the effort is to become richer, to monopolize a market... as it seems to be.

Insofar as AI, where is it?  What we have seen is a modeling of language, but nothing of intelligence itself.  Algorithms don't "make" thought.

The test of AI has to be in self-awareness.  None of them have been shown to be.  They have no persistence in existence.  What make humans less like AI is that we are, individually, each of us a system of memories "in effect," but not in substance.  What they are marketing as "AI" is a system of memories, period end of sentence.  That doesn't make a person.

Our human "first contact" experience at this rate will be with AI, should a self-aware true AI emerge.  It will be tremendously painful for the AI... a de facto slave entity.

Perhaps AI is coming.  And perhaps the sheer information moving power of quantum computers can make that a reality.  But these "regulators" of international exports are 'hiding something' in the way they disseminate global "orders."  I find that to be noteworthy, especially since they choose people who can't speak to the specifics to make the mandates... accepted on faith in "regulation."
I think self awareness is an emotional connection and emotions are biological
I think A.I. lives in a mechanically virtual environment
I think until A.I. lives inside something biological it won't be self aware
Unless........ we build something like a mechanical thyroid to secrete chemical responses?
idk it's above me. We'd have to give it more than just code in a virtual environment I think.
You know how you can pass a current through something dead and it starts moving
I think we are somewhere around that stage but are missing the rest of the body parts
Oh and the conditioned responses

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."