deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Are We Alone In The Galaxy? Updated Drake Equation Suggests We Might Be
(06-07-2024, 03:09 PM)VulcanWerks Wrote: I view us being alone as materially low-probability logically and mathematically.

Yes I'd completely agree and after looking at images like the Hubble Deep Field the true mind numbing scale is insane.

[Image: STSCI-H-p1427a-2300x2100.jpg]

The extent of human radio broadcasts in our galaxy isn't that impressive either.

[Image: ic4fb562ab.jpg]

Beer
If our "presence" within the galaxy is that limited (a mere 200 light-year sphere) we can probably be certain that no other civilization with "similar technology" could ever find us, other than good fortune.  But that's just for any other theoretical civilization 'like us,' within that small portion of the galaxy.

But then, higher technologies will appear as magic to us... maybe someday we'll know more.

Perhaps distance is just 'an illusion' to higher technologies.
(06-07-2024, 03:09 PM)VulcanWerks Wrote: Since I was a small child I have always assumed/felt that we are not “alone” in the universe.

I had this since before I became more aware that we’re “alone”.

To this day I hold that same stance.

I view us being alone as materially low-probability logically and mathematically.

Beyond that, just because we haven’t been told by a government that they exist doesn’t mean they don’t exist. In fact, the governments of the world saying something or not has little to no bearing on my stance.

There are lots of things that are true that most people think is false… and vice-versa.

So, I’m going to remain firmly in the camp that is being “alone” is very low probability. So low I highly doubt that’s the case when thinking at massive scale.

Same here. The ingredients for life to exist are the abundant in the Universe and life can probably manifest in very different ways, it doesn't need to be carbon based. But first of all anyone who looks at this issue needs to appreciate the numbers involved. The Universe contains (a recent estimate) around 2,000 billion galaxies and each one on average contains 100 billion stars and at least as many planets. Very unlikely we are alone.

On the other hand we haven't even explored our solar system. Let's see what's underneath the icy surface or Europa and Enceladus first. I think there is a good chance we answer the question if life exists on other planets.
(06-07-2024, 05:26 PM)K218b Wrote: Same here. The ingredients for life to exist are the abundant in the Universe and life can probably manifest in very different ways, it doesn't need to be carbon based. But first of all anyone who looks at this issue needs to appreciate the numbers involved. The Universe contains (a recent estimate) around 2,000 billion galaxies and each one on average contains 100 billion stars and at least as many planets. Very unlikely we are alone.

On the other hand we haven't even explored our solar system. Let's see what's underneath the icy surface or Europa and Enceladus first. I think there is a good chance we answer the question if life exists on other planets.

I agree but would go a step further.

I suspect many civilizations would be subterranean.

So you could potentially go to any number of planets and find life.

Our mistake is combing the surface (though I do suspect we’ve found things that have not been shared with the public).