deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Kaspersky" antivirus software banned in US as of July '24
Just for those who include Kaspersky software as a reliable anti virus solution, the Department of Commerce (Bureau of Industry and Security) is now including Kaspersky Labs on its "Lists of Entities" which are 'officially' deemed a threat to national security.

From ArsTechnica: Citing national security, US will ban Kaspersky anti-virus software in July

US businesses and consumers will be blocked from buying new software from Kaspersky starting on or around July 24, 2024, 30 days after the restrictions are scheduled to be published in the federal register. Current users will still be able to download the software, resell it, and download new updates for 100 days, which Reuters says will give affected users and businesses time to find replacement software. Rebranded products that use Kaspersky's software will also be affected.

Just a head's up for anyone in the market for AV software.
Now do a thread on John McAfee, his shit needs to be remembered.
I was not here.
I never trusted it. Would not use.

But, this needs to be buyers decision, not government. This, ticktock, DJI, etc should not be banned by government for consumer use. It should be buyers choice.  

Government making rules these things can’t be used on government property/equipment is fine. Heck furbys were banned on military bases when I was in the Army. That’s fine.

This, however, is just another authoritarian overreach that needs to be stopped.
Well... I should have guessed this would happen...

There is a political angle to the story...

From Betanews.com: Joe Biden implements Kaspersky ban ahead of debate with Donald Trump, citing national security concerns

For some reason, they think this has to do with the upcoming debate... I wonder why?

In a preemptive move ahead of the upcoming presidential debate with Donald Trump (just a week away), the Biden administration has enforced a significant ban on Kaspersky Lab, Inc., prohibiting all transactions involving the company’s cybersecurity products by U.S. persons. This decision, enacted by the U.S. Department of Commerce, is a part of broader efforts to bolster national security, addressing concerns over potential vulnerabilities that foreign entities could exploit.

The timing of the ban aligns strategically with the political calendar, setting the stage for national security to be a focal point in the debate. 

I'm finding myself wondering it this is one of those kinds of stories where you could add the words "We are reporting" in front of every sentence... since they are telling you what to think.

I suspect this is not a true 'perspective' because this is just totally in line with Trump banning them from all government machines during his term.  So as far a bragging privileges, this doesn't serve the debate at all.  I would ask the author exactly how will it serve 'politically?'... or are we just to believe that it does, because you say so?
It's actually one of the safer anti-virus apps, AND ALSO one of the most dangerous anti-virus apps, at the exact same time...depending on who you are, and your perspective.

AND, the reasons why are even more shocking than anyone could possibly imagine!  Nothing like you'd think.

All the "good guys" suddenly look like "bad guys", and all the "bad guys" suddenly look like they don't care about either side and are focused on something completely different...which triggers a whole cascade of 'other' good guys and bad guys (completely not related directly to the 1st good guys and bad guys, nor motivated by the same things as the 1st good guys and bad guys). 

I'm not advocating for kaspersky (I don't use it, and won't use it), but the reasons why are not what most might imagine!!!!

Bottom line...there are ZERO virus companies who don't have a vested interest in something.  The bigger question is "what"?  Free virus scanners is the biggest ruse of the computer age.  There's always a back door...always.