deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cloned rhesus monkey created to speed medical research
Cloned rhesus monkey created to speed medical research. So it's lived for 2 years and is perfectly fine.
So how much longer till I can get a clone for all my parts that are wearing out. 
PS wasn't sure where to put this either....

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67987633
Quote:Chinese researchers have cloned the first rhesus monkey, a species which is widely used in medical research because its physiology is similar to humans.

They say they could speed up drug testing, as genetically identical animals give like-for-like results, providing greater certainty in trials.
Previous attempts to clone a rhesus have either not led to births or the offspring have died a few hours later.
One animal welfare group has said it is "deeply concerned" by the development.
In mammals, sexual reproduction leads to offspring made up of a mixture of genes from their father and mother. In cloning, techniques are used to create a genetically identical copy of a single animal.
The most famous cloned animal, Dolly the sheep, was created in 1996. Scientists reprogrammed a cell from another sheep to turn them into embryos which are building block cells that can grow into any part of an organism. These embryos were then implanted into Dolly's surrogate mother.
Writing in the journal Nature communications, the researchers say they have essentially done the same thing but with a rhesus monkey. They say that the animal has remained healthy for more than two years, indicating the cloning process was successful.
Dr Falong Lu of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences told BBC News that ''everyone was beaming with happiness'' at the successful outcome.
But a spokesperson for the UK's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) said that the organisation believed that the animal suffering caused outweighed any immediate benefit to human patients.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
Cloning is a lot farther than has been advertised.  I was watching a show about horses a few years back and they talked about how cloned race horses are only allowed in certain circuits. I couldn't believe that we got that far so I looked it up. 

Horse Cloning
Quote:The cost of equine cloning varies between €200,000[sup][29][/sup] and €300,000,[sup][30][/sup] depending on the source. In 2010, clones intended for sporting competitions represented just 22% of operations.[sup][31][/sup] Cloning is therefore mainly carried out in Europe for the purpose of breeding high-performance horses.
A few years ago, there was a man who cloned his dog.  I had written about it on another site.

Here's a youtube link and that was 6 years ago.  I think it's fairly easy at this point but cost prohibitive.  It's also not like people think. It's not identical at least from what I've seen.  The cloned dogs have little resemblance to their genetic donors.  But it's interesting and I believe they can and have cloned humans.  They just don't want us to know about it.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF2HPrdNP1A]
I also think they can and probably have cloned humans. That said, it falls in the abomination category for me (both the act and the thing). It should never be done with humans.
(01-16-2024, 05:32 PM)StoutBroux Wrote: A few years ago, there was a man who cloned his dog.  I had written about it on another site.

Here's a youtube link and that was 6 years ago.  I think it's fairly easy at this point but cost prohibitive.  It's also not like people think. It's not identical at least from what I've seen.  The cloned dogs have little resemblance to their genetic donors.  But it's interesting and I believe they can and have cloned humans.  They just don't want us to know about it.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF2HPrdNP1A]
 That pretty cool I definitely had one or 2 dogs in my lifetime that I would have liked to have clones of.

But the video say the pups are "spitting image" of the original
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
This is not good is my vibe .

Like some rich evil dictator orders make copy`s of himselves....just because he can. Then there are 5 or 10 them .

Yikes!
https://nypost.com/2015/10/31/i-spent-mo...ne-my-dog/

That is the article I made a post on a few years ago.  The dogs look similar but are not identical, at least in my book.  

[Image: nRPirz4.jpg ]
The donor dog is to the left and the two clones are to the right.  

And it is definitely a no-no for me.  It won't be long and there WILL be clones of humans, powerful humans.  We won't have a chance.  As if we did anyway.
(01-17-2024, 02:34 PM)Kenzo Wrote: This is not good is my vibe .

Like some rich evil dictator orders make copy`s of himselves....just because he can. Then there are 5 or 10 them .

Yikes!

And who owns them?  Do they have rights?  Just keep some on hand for skipping work or free organs?
That said, the movie Multiplicity with Michael Keaton is absolutely hilarious.
(01-17-2024, 07:48 PM)Halfswede Wrote: And who owns them?  Do they have rights?  Just keep some on hand for skipping work or free organs?
That said, the movie Multiplicity with Michael Keaton is absolutely hilarious.

Well if we can't use them for body parts or exploit them in our realtionships and jobs,whats the point in clones. I suppose they could be used for lonely people, which sounds creepy AF in itself. I couldn't imagine just talking to another me,  talking to someone who knows everything you know. I want someone different, damn sure Im going to generally prefer a female, but even that can I make them just go and wait in a closet sometimes.

Or it could be like the movie Primer, where one of the extra yous, takes over your family and your life completely 

Sooner or later CLM Clone Lives Matter
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart