deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brace yourself for 'Q-Day,' a global cybersecurity event
Everyday we hear new Brave New World kind of headlines.  Multi-front bubble to burst.  Digital currency to replace all cash.  15 minute cities.  EV cars will replace ICE cars....and with it the freedom to go large distances in a short time privately.  One World Government.  The USA Uniparty.

Here's a new one for me.
Brace yourself for 'Q-Day,' a global cybersecurity event that could expose our most important secrets

I hope that date 2025 is wrong.  Put it out 50 years and most of us will miss the horror of loss of encryption on our computers....and end privacy in our lives.

Quote:When the technology gets there, though, it's "likely to be as transformational in the 21st century as harnessing electricity as a resource was in the 19th century," Michael Biercuk, the founder and CEO of quantum tech company Q-CTRL, told Reuters. 
So global superpowers like the United States and China are pouring tons of money into quantum research ahead of Q-Day. With companies like IBM, Amazon, Intel, Google, and more building quantum processors, North America is widely seen as the leader in quantum computing development. In 2022, the United States invested $1.8 billion into quantum research, while Canada committed an additional $100 million, according to estimates from consulting firm McKinsey & Company.
And, of course, any time I see the name McKinsey, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling of security.    /s
Quantum computing is a works in progress. The two main differences from conventional computing is a faster cycle process based on smaller components and using a float number with the qbit rather than a binary number with the transistor.

When quantum computers can quickly crack prime factorization, a lot of the internet is exposed by those with the tech, SSL, Banking, lot of different encryption systems. Still going to take more work to crack something like bitcoin.

Quantum computing will also introduce a new level of security should it hopes be realized. It will be a bit like going to fighting with swords to fighting with guns as a technological analogy.
It is amazing how far computer tech has come in less than 25 years...

circa 1998 the industry was shitting themselves, the GP or a little bit of both, that the 1900s date format was gonna crash computer systems worldwide. Lots of companies made a pretty penny off that now questionable calamity.

25 years ago computers couldn't handle dates, now it's all seeing all-knowing quantum computing and it's all bad and evil-like. Certainly, there are upsides to this next step?

I was skeptical then and Im skeptical now, how come other industries don't morph and evolve as quickly as computing? 

Just this threat alone will have people trying to get off the grid, so to speak. Let's suppose much like Y2K, this is overblown, whats the motive? who is to gain? As always follow the money... right

am I wrong? or was this post just tucked away, to be brought up at some later date...
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....
I don't understand any of this technology stuff.   I'm kinda left behind.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(12-23-2023, 07:12 AM)Kwaka Wrote: Quantum computing will also introduce a new level of security should it hopes be realized. It will be a bit like going to fighting with swords to fighting with guns as a technological analogy.

Let's hope there is new security in place.... Thumbup
(12-23-2023, 07:12 AM)Kwaka Wrote: Quantum computing is a works in progress. The two main differences from conventional computing is a faster cycle process based on smaller components and using a float number with the qbit rather than a binary number with the transistor.

OK, this whole idea of quantum computing and qubits gives me a headache, but what you posted made me actually try to understand what a qubit is. Somehow it sunk in after a search and reading some explanations. Thanks for that.

These old brain cells of mine are not at all what they used to be.

I worry that we are moving too fast in this war to stay ahead of the other side, but I can see we don't really have a choice. The advances we are making are so dangerous in the wrong hands, it would not be wrong to think we should be sinking half our budget, trillions, into keeping ahead in this race.

Whatever happened to us being 30 years ahead of where the public thinks we are? Seems to me we are at the point were our government is lucky if it's a day ahead. Not much security in that.
They couldn't have picked a better name? 

I realize "Q" means Quantum, but...

Luckily "Quantum Cryptography" is attempting to stay ahead of it. 

Looking up "Companies using Quantum Cryptography" yields the list you want to see. IBM, Microsoft, Intel...

I think it's a race like Y2K to prevent it from happening.  

I don't know shit though. I am wishfully hoping Companies use awareness of this security singularity and work to prevent it, instead of letting it happen for whatever desired dystopia causing reason. That's too paranoid.

Still, its like, "Hey, Let's all convert to digital EVERYTHING so everyone's data can be breached in a cascade of identity theft at some looming point in the future?"

But maybe we want to end up a cyber punk dystopia with poisoned apocalyptic skies after the Quantum Skynet gains consciousness and destroys everything.
[Image: xn661c5393.jpg]
Undecided voter