deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
A Bee called Lazarus
Right, this may read as fiction, but it actually happened to me this morning...

At work, my office has a small balcony. I saw a small honey bee not so much landed as flopped onto it. I noticed she was struggling to walk… stumbling and rolling over. Either she was exhausted or it was too cold, either way, she was on her last legs, literally.

A few minutes later I saw that she wasn’t struggling anymore and just laid there on her back with her legs curled inwards; the typical posture of a dead insect. I didn’t photograph her, but here is how it looked. The only difference is that her wings were out swept like an F-14 when landing.

[Image: vk65647f13.png]

I don’t know why, but I felt a strong urge to bring her indoors. So, I put her in a paper cup and examined her better. She was completely listless, however, I felt compelled to try to warm her up. I began to huff on her gently. After a few seconds I noticed her hind legs unfurl and stretch out. At first I thought it was some kind of stimulus response, but I wasn’t blowing at her directly, more like heavy breathing into the cup.

I continued for about a minute and lo and behold, her other four legs started moving, then her wings started up. Seeing her wings buzzing was an awesome sight. Shortly after, she was completely back to normal and took flight. I had to recapture her as she buzzed against the patio doors and eventually, let her go on her merry way. She flew straight up into the wild blue yonder.

I hope she lives long and prospers; perhaps one day I’ll enjoy her honey. One thing is sure, at least she didn’t perish on my watch.

I’m not sure why I felt the need to post this, but the feel-good factor I just felt made up for a pretty crappy few days I’ve been having.

Beer
I already saw that on ATS.
So cute.

She won't probably make it much longer. Winter is hard times for insects.
But it is such a cute story
(11-27-2023, 10:01 AM)FurPerson Wrote: I already saw that on ATS.
So cute.

She won't probably make it much longer. Winter is hard times for insects.
But it is such a cute story

Yes, of that I am pretty sure. However, the day was bright and there's a little forestry area behind my workplace, I'm hoping she finds shelter or even her hive there. 

What I found amazing is that life hadn't left her completely and with a little tender loving care, she lives to see another day, no matter how few.

Beer
(11-27-2023, 09:58 AM)Encia22 Wrote: Right, this may read as fiction, but it actually happened to me this morning...

At work, my office has a small balcony. I saw a small honey bee not so much landed as flopped onto it. I noticed she was struggling to walk… stumbling and rolling over. Either she was exhausted or it was too cold, either way, she was on her last legs, literally.

A few minutes later I saw that she wasn’t struggling anymore and just laid there on her back with her legs curled inwards; the typical posture of a dead insect. I didn’t photograph her, but here is how it looked. The only difference is that her wings were out swept like an F-14 when landing.

[Image: https://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/i...647f13.png]

I don’t know why, but I felt a strong urge to bring her indoors. So, I put her in a paper cup and examined her better. She was completely listless, however, I felt compelled to try to warm her up. I began to huff on her gently. After a few seconds I noticed her hind legs unfurl and stretch out. At first I thought it was some kind of stimulus response, but I wasn’t blowing at her directly, more like heavy breathing into the cup.

I continued for about a minute and lo and behold, her other four legs started moving, then her wings started up. Seeing her wings buzzing was an awesome sight. Shortly after, she was completely back to normal and took flight. I had to recapture her as she buzzed against the patio doors and eventually, let her go on her merry way. She flew straight up into the wild blue yonder.

I hope she lives long and prospers; perhaps one day I’ll enjoy her honey. One thing is sure, at least she didn’t perish on my watch.

I’m not sure why I felt the need to post this, but the feel-good factor I just felt made up for a pretty crappy few days I’ve been having.

Beer

You made my morning  Tumble

ANNEE
What a feel good story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. We need the bees!
(11-27-2023, 10:06 AM)Encia22 Wrote: Yes, of that I am pretty sure. However, the day was bright and there's a little forestry area behind my workplace, I'm hoping she finds shelter or even her hive there. 

What I found amazing is that life hadn't left her completely and with a little tender loving care, she lives to see another day, no matter how few.

Beer

You did such a nice thing!!!
(11-27-2023, 09:58 AM)Encia22 Wrote: Right, this may read as fiction, but it actually happened to me this morning...

[Image: https://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/i...647f13.png]

Beer

More humans should use their empathy and abilities to help, very noble of you :)

You can use sugar water as a quick fix to offer single bees that are low on energy. Sugar water can spoil fast though so just a few drops for a small energy boost is the best option. If you encounter bees in the evening, that is a good option because often they can't get back to the hive in time and have to sleep and seek shelter outside. You probably encountered such a bee in the morning.

Thanks to you, it could make it back to the hive ♥

Who knows, maybe it did a little dance to describe what you did. Bees perform dances in the air to promote their pollen source to other bees, too. It's very fascinating. The dance describes how to find the pollen source.
(11-29-2023, 06:20 PM)TDDA Wrote: More humans should use their empathy and abilities to help, very noble of you :)

You can use sugar water as a quick fix to offer single bees that are low on energy. Sugar water can spoil fast though so just a few drops for a small energy boost is the best option. If you encounter bees in the evening, that is a good option because often they can't get back to the hive in time and have to sleep and seek shelter outside. You probably encountered such a bee in the morning.

Thanks to you, it could make it back to the hive ♥

Who knows, maybe it did a little dance to describe what you did. Bees perform dances in the air to promote their pollen source to other bees, too. It's very fascinating. The dance describes how to find the pollen source.

Thanks, TDDA, I too hope she made it back home!

Actually, I’ve had other experiences with bees. Back in 2012 I encountered two bees that required some refreshments… In both instances, instead of sugar water, I gave them a dollop of their own medicine... acacia honey; both behaved exactly the same… first a few licks and then full immersion.

First one was in June 2012, she only stayed a few hours as she was just flustered by the heat.

[Image: yv6565c22a.jpg]
[Image: ji6565c22a.jpg]

The second one I found on Christmas Day 2012 and she stayed for the festivities…

[Image: hu6565c22a.jpg]

…a few days later, having regained her strength after a good few slurps and some calisthenics, she took off.

[Image: cm6565c22a.jpg]

Yes, I know about the dance, but I thought it was done just in the hive and not in the air. I remember that they walk around in a circle and then transverse it, indicating the direction and distance of the food source. I think the distance was communicated by how much they wag/vibrate their abdomen. Truly incredible and fascinating creatues!

Ats2508_cheers
(11-30-2023, 06:58 AM)Encia22 Wrote: Yes, I know about the dance, but I thought it was done just in the hive and not in the air. I remember that they walk around in a circle and then transverse it, indicating the direction and distance of the food source. I think the distance was communicated by how much they wag/vibrate their abdomen. Truly incredible and fascinating creatues!

Ats2508_cheers

You are right, it's not in the air, I checked again. Good that you spoke it out. I heard this a long time ago, so forgive me please :)

Bees are just awesome, they got very rare here though. I have seldom seen wild honey bees in trees, some use old tree stumps that are higher up and hollow here. Only in hives, managed by a human. And of course single ones. We know a few places where beekeepers have their hives. When we are out in the forest in summer, we always stop at the hives. You can hear them from far away and approach them upfront and slowly up until 6-8 feet approximately. Only then you can feel how they fly a lot closer to you and warning. But if you retreat just one foot length they it's okay again. 

Like an invisible soft border. Before that they mind some distance. I know that our bees keeper have problems with some fungus that kills whole colonies and future ones, too. Using honey is of course the best when you have it at hand. Giving the little creatures a bit work back.

Ats2508_cheers
No worries, TDDA, it's been over 30 years since I studied bees, so I wasn't completely sure either.

Yes, I noticed they are very territorial, but if you stay outside their designated range then all's good. However, they don't respect my no trespassing zone if I've got food. They are especially intimate when I'm eating a kebab out in the open... I don't know what attracts them so much, to the point of landing on the meat only even as I'm munching. 

LolBeer