deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When Tabloids Go Off The Rails - Worshiping AI
Clickbait.  Ya gotta have clickbait these days.  So how's this for a title: "Humans will soon be worshipping AI chatbots as gods, experts warn!"

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-...source=nba

There's a lot less there than the headline implies.  But don't forget to tremble in fear, because the article continues "Experts believe people might ditch traditional religion for tech-based beliefs. They warned the responses by bots, such as ChatGPT, were luring people to seek higher meaning from them."

I can see people with certain medical conditions buying into this (the guys who stand on the street corners, shouting garbled Bible verses, for instance.)  I've seen people argue with chatbots (not knowing that they were arguing with a chatbot) -- but I'm having a hard time seeing how an AI could present itself as a deity in any credible way.  "Worship me or I'll turn off your lights?"  (oh sweetie, let me introduce you to my candles.)  

And as a former programmer, I can't see putting that much reliance on something like an algorithm trained on who knows what database.

I would use it to explore medical conditions, I would use it for a lot of things... but I don't think there's that many who would worship it and I think the "expert" is simply doing a lot of personal speculating and the reporter is running with something that will grab eyeballs.

I'll get into the robot Zen priest(s) in another post.

Messages In This Thread
When Tabloids Go Off The Rails - Worshiping AI - by Byrd - 02-01-2024, 08:56 PM