deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ATS Alternate Sources of Past Research
I’m sure I can’t be the only one who has turned to ATS the last decade or so for information finding?  For example, I’ve been on a binge of trying to figure out autoimmune, food, water, environment, Govt involvement, general disease issues for a while now and just a few days ago found a treasure trove of information on ATS going back to possibly one of ATS early days.   

All the old posts about cryptids or 9/11 or shootings that had posts that you could follow AS it was happening……..

Does anyone know how to preserve old ATS stuff if it’s even possible?     

Finding solid information is getting harder and harder, and I absolutely refuse to use mass media.    

I remember finding a site from a link on ATS that had obscure information that I haven’t been able to find again and Google for sure won’t show it.

What resources does everyone use?   I actually made a post on ATS about how people gather their information and didn’t really get any solid resources.
These are very good questions.  I too am a little heartbroken of how much 'historical' information will would be lost if ATS and all her content were to 'disappear.'

I have heard it rumored that between all the users, much of it is still in such a form as to be recoverable.  But I, unfortunately, never 'saved' all my content from ATS, never imagining that it might someday evaporate into the ether.  I've tried the 'internet wayback machine' to get old stuff, but I have had abysmal results.  I've tried ATS' own archives and found huge chunks of my works gone, or not accessible.

I hope someone somewhere has archived what they could, and will eventually share it with us again... but that's just hope.  I haven't seen much to keep that hope alive.
Copy them now or use the wayback machine. All my old links of stuff I have used are no longer any good. 

Good luck !
Earlier this week I started looking into what it would take to download as much as possible using "web crawler" tools.  I didn't get very far partly because I've got real-world things to deal with and partly because I'm a little lazy. 

I know it's possible to do but there are challenges.  For example, how much storage would I need to hold a copy of every page?  How long would it take to grab every page (is there enough time left)?  What kind of bandwidth would I need?  Could my Internet provider interpret what I'm doing as something malicious?  

There might be legal issues too but if Wayback Machine can archive the entire Internet, it must not be a problem.
FWIW 

If the domain name isn't being used anymore, it may not be accessible when and if abovetopsecret.com goes dark. I just check and old site we had for 15 years plenty of snapshots listed on the Wayback machine but I couldn't access them
Quote:His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....