deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The longest runic inscription - read aloud
I just couldn't resist sharing this.  I know it is very narrow in its appeal, but being a a sort-of linguist, and cryptologically-inclined, I just thought this beautiful.

From Archeology.org: Reading the Rök Runestone

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9_oBKVyfA]

Sweden’s Rök runestone bears the longest runic inscription in existence—some 760 runes divided into 28 lines—and dates to around A.D. 800. The stone’s inscription has defied attempts to understand it since the mid-nineteenth century, but now a team of researchers has developed a new interpretation that ties it to themes in Norse mythology and to a devastating sixth-century climate crisis. In this video, Henrik Williams, a runologist at Uppsala University, reads the Rök’s inscription aloud.
Wow!

Those stones have felt some powerful hands around them in their time.

Thanks for sharing. I obviously don't speak the language but imagined the words being spoken loudly and deeply by some huge bearded axe wielding hero type in front of a roaring fire inside a noble house on a big rock in the snowy mountains.

Cool. Beer  Beer (giant mugs of mead)

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.