deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Mandela Effect
[img]IMG_2687.webp[/img]
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
This is actually comforting....

I share many of your... instances of recollection... (I had to think about how to express that)

Thanks.

It's difficult to share it as a 'mis'-recollection.  Although I know the "Mandela Effect" is the point of the exploration of these instances, it also seems there must be some alternate explanation that doesn't involve 'reality changing' phenomena.  Has anyone heard of other theories, or are they all reality-bending?
I'll still refute the Dolly/braces example.  I distinctly remember seeing braces and I saw Moonraker in the theater

Young Ones was only 4, unless you count SPG (Viv's hamster - Special Patrol Group) lol.

Someone mentioned Sally Ride.  Confused with Christa McAuliff?
(05-13-2024, 07:14 PM)Raptured Wrote: I'll still refute the Dolly/braces example.  I distinctly remember seeing braces and I saw Moonraker in the theater

I am breaking an etiquette of posting here... but all I can say is...

Me too!
(05-13-2024, 05:45 PM)Maxmars Wrote: It's difficult to share it as a 'mis'-recollection.  Although I know the "Mandela Effect" is the point of the exploration of these instances, it also seems there must be some alternate explanation that doesn't involve 'reality changing' phenomena.  Has anyone heard of other theories, or are they all reality-bending?

It seems like 'some' are erroneous recollection, but it just doesn't 'feel' like ALL of them are, and currently I'm not aware of any scenarios other than reality being altered or "erroneous recollection", BUT, in some instances it not only appears as an altering of reality but more like a degradation of reality or the initial stages of some form of entropic decline like perhaps creation is at the verge of becoming 'undone', and of course the reason I say that is because some of these "effects" themselves appear as a "degradation" i.e. the original seems to make more sense.

The actual mechanics of this Mandela Effect though largely remains somewhat of a mystery.

I'm confused about the Sally Ride Christa McAuliffe thing, and I just seem to remember that the one that died was a teacher, but this is one of my less confident ones, so I normally wouldn't bring it up.
An interesting question might be "how long have these been going on for?", or something along the lines of when did people first start noticing them?
Was Mandela that first?  Was Moonraker before then?  Has Moonraker only 'changed' recently?
Is there any evidence in literature of people 'misremembering' events?
What therefore also happened on or before the time of death of Nelson Mandela when he was in prison, or alternatively, that point in time where people stared questioning it? - was it when he was released, that people started saying "but I thought he died in prison?" - maybe there is a simpler explanation, in that he did die in prison, but then, some time later, there was a political reason for wanting him to be released from prison, and become president of South Africa, and sort out the racial tension, so maybe the Nelson Mandela that we all saw leaving prison, and being president of SA was not the original real one?
but then you start getting into other CT like how people think that Paul McCartney died in a car crash and was replaced.
so there's that.
There's a Terry Pratchett book, I think it's called The Last Continent, in which the main character Rincewind goes to the continent of XXXX, the counterweight continent (because it's full of gold and is underneath the disc of the earth), and there he meets a kangaroo called Scrappy, and this thing talks to him, and changes reality so that he's always been there.  Rincewind goes to a sheep ranch, and the roo follows, and all the ranchers act like they've always had the roo, and then one of them asks, how long have we had the roo, and another replies forever, and the first one then asks "but had we had the roo forever - yesterday?" - ie, I know we've had it forever, and I have memories of it going back in time, but at the same time I can also remember yesterday when we didn't have a roo, so he's been here forever, but only since today.
Havnt seen it linked so far in this thread, but for those who havnt read this, well its going to be missed when it goes dark

https://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread543455/pg1

Take note that the thread was stated in 2010, and normie internet says the Mandela Effect was named in 2012 by someone called Fiona Broome. So yet again ATS won that round.
I was not here.
(05-05-2024, 05:04 AM)CCoburn Wrote: The Mandela Effect : fact or fiction?

The Mandela Effect is a phenomenon where various groups of individuals seemingly recall past events, symbols, words, and titles et cetera as documented or transpiring differently than how they are actually recorded in the present day. The title comes from the 'supposed' false memory of many believing that Nelson Mandela died in prison during the 1980s where in fact this is actually contrary to how this information is actually documented in the present day. Nelson Mandela never died in prison, or so 'they' say.

Examples of this phenomenon resonate differently with different individuals, and oddly enough the titled phenomenon is actually an example of one that does not resonate with me as much as some of the others.

And here are a few examples of this phenomenon that actually do resonate with me:

1. Interview With - THE - Vampire. I saw this movie more than once, and I recall the title as being Interview With - A - Vampire.

2. Moonraker. Dolly NEVER had braces in any of the scenes, but I seem to recall a scene with her smiling at Jaws with her 'braces' twinkling in the light.

3. The word dilemma. Many, including myself seem to recall this as being spelled dilemna, and I have no idea why many would have recollection of such an oddly spelled word.

4. Mr. Rogers' theme: it's a wonderful day in THIS neighborhood. I grew up with this and I recall it as it's a wonderful day in THE neighborhood.

These are just a few and the examples are many, and it's kind of reminiscent of other phenomena such as ghosts, UFO sightings, or any other widely documented paranormal phenomena where there may in fact exist truth but often times mixed together with a plethora of lies, mistaken identity, or any other inadvertent or intentional false reports or claims, but it's like they say, it only takes one truth to prove any phenomenon.

It can also be worthy to note that with this Mandela Effect that many of the changes seem to not make nearly as much sense as the recollected original and in some instances maybe even to the point of borderline laughable.

The one that's currently getting me is the Macarena. I'm pushing 50 and that cheesy song came out when I was in my 20's. I have done it 100's of times since then and seen the video, I don't even know how many times. It's now missing part of the dance. Even the video is different to cover this. There used to be more of the girls 'showing' how to do the dance. Now there's more of them laughing like idiots.

Interview with A Vampire is how I remember it. Interview with THE Vampire is wrong. This implies Lestat already thought he was THE Vampire. He didn't start getting his God complex till Queen of the Damned and that was set after Interview. This one bothers me a lot too because this set of books were ones from about 10 that I could find in English in Germany. And they got read a LOT! LOTR and the Hobbit were the other ones.
There was this reddit sub about ME's, r/retconned, and one of the mods username had an E dropped off it... I'm trying to find the thread that discussed it...

Small changes like that can really only serve the purpose of highlining the phenom. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8

How did I get here?
I was not here.
Good luck finding that thread!  (Really, I can't seem to find anything anymore)

BTW:  Love that tune!  Is it the subject of a Mandela Effect?... if so, do tell.