deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some weird bee's I have encountered.
Ok I have two videos to share. The 1st is from last year about this time. They where crawling in and out of the angular reinforcement opening on my back window awning for a bit and made enough noise for me to notice. They are bigger than bumble bee's and carpenter bee's also. I wish i knew what they where exactly too. They are docile and non aggressive. I even wonder if they can sting?

They definitely know when you are around their holes too, they buzz at you like a reminder that they have place, but not hostile at all. 
(sorry only allowed one video in this post) please see my other video on my youtube channel called 'Bee Weird' for this 1st example)

So this is the current video, sorry I was not allowed to share both at this time.

Well this year they are boring holes in my Yard barn. So I setup a go-pro cam to see what's up? The video is crazy and their activity starts around the 4 minute mark or so and continues there on. The video is 43 minutes of weird bee fun.

[Video: https://youtu.be/pcYWRZL_jZA]

I hope this post came out ok and well and hope I did it correct.

Also this is my 1st actual post here too, please be gentle on me. And thanks for looking.
Get's interesting @ around 33:04 Looks like a scout looking about and then more incoming, lol
They are carpenter bees. They can sting but mostly ruin the woodwork.

https://bestbees.com/2022/09/02/carpenter-bee/
Does anyone know the minimum safe distance of ignorance?
(05-17-2024, 10:32 PM)BeyondKnowledge Wrote: They are carpenter bees. They can sting but mostly ruin the woodwork.

https://bestbees.com/2022/09/02/carpenter-bee/ 
kinda figured that was what they where. Thanks. years ago I had similar bee's what I believed then to be carpenters bee's, but they borrowed in between my patio blocks then at this other another location.

So reading on in the article you linked there are 8 different distinct species too. Interesting, thanks again.
I'll say carpenter bees can sting!

I took nearly 40 stings one terrible day... I passed out.  It was a nightmare.  I was just a young pup.

I can't really tell from your video, but the ones that stung me were not 'hairy' or 'fuzzy.'

I understand they are technically not bees, but a kind of wasp.  In my neck of the woods we called them 'yellow jackets.'

Unless I'm misinformed... it was ages ago.
(05-17-2024, 10:56 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I'll say carpenter bees can sting!

I took nearly 40 stings one terrible day... I passed out.  It was a nightmare.  I was just a young pup.

I can't really tell from your video, but the ones that stung me were not 'hairy' or 'fuzzy.'

I understand they are technically not bees, but a kind of wasp.  In my neck of the woods we called them 'yellow jackets.'

Funny this same location like 3 years ago we had some tiny little brown and black hornets that looked fat and stout like bumble bee's or carpenter bee's. They was vicious, mean and very hostile. me and my roommate got stung a few times by them and the was very painful lingering pain. We tried all kinds of sprays on them, even bleach. Finally my roommate got real brave and drunk and put on 3 or more hoodies, sweat pants, duct tape and a hockey mask and physically tore apart the nest and squashed them to bit's. The size of the infestation of these ferocious little tyrants was incredible.
They are tremendously aggressive.  I learned that first-hand.

And unlike bees, they can sting over and over...

"bee" careful (I know , dumb pun)  Tongue
(05-17-2024, 10:56 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I'll say carpenter bees can sting!

Yellow jackets nest in the ground and not in wood. You have to watch out about them buzzing around the ground. These are carpenter bees, they bore into wood and weaken it.

Two totally different bugs.

(05-17-2024, 11:03 PM)Cosmic Wrote: Funny this same location like 3 years ago we had some tiny little brown and black hornets that looked fat and stout like bumble bee's or carpenter bee's. They was vicious, mean and very hostile. me and my roommate got stung a few times by them and the was very painful lingering pain. We tried all kinds of sprays on them, even bleach. Finally my roommate got real brave and drunk and put on 3 or more hoodies, sweat pants, duct tape and a hockey mask and physically tore apart the nest and squashed them to bit's. The size of the infestation of these ferocious little tyrants was incredible.

Next time try hot sauce. It works quick and is safer then the spray can stuff.
Does anyone know the minimum safe distance of ignorance?
Well, it was over 50 years ago... I recall (though that is debatable) that the doctor called them "carpenter bees" and later, I found out that the stinging culprits were "yellow jackets"... and they were at the base of a tree in the forest I had foolishly pee'd upon...  I assumed they were the same thing.  (forgive me, I wasn't even 8 years old.)

Thanks for the education.  I'll avoid the error from here on out.  Thumbup

Frankly, I was just grateful to be alive after that all out assault by mother nature.