Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more cavities! But is it safe?
I suffer from severe tooth problems (or lack thereof,)  so when I ran across this article, it definitely caught my attention...

From Ars Technica: The GMO tooth microbe that is supposed to prevent cavities
Subtitled: Some experts have concerns over the safety of the genetically modified bacteria.

About seven years ago, Aaron Silverbook and his then-girlfriend, a biologist, were perusing old scientific literature online. “A romantic evening,” joked Silverbook. That night, he came across a study from 2000 that surprised him. Scientists had genetically engineered an oral bacterium that they said could possibly prevent tooth decay: “I read it and sort of boggled at it and said, ‘Wow, this is a cavity vaccine. Why don't we have this?’”

So, Silverbook tracked down the primary author, Jeffrey Hillman, a now-retired oral biologist formerly at the University of Florida, to see if he could pick up the torch.

While I always remind myself that many of these kinds of announcements are what I call "press-release" journalism, this article described an encouraging possibility.  The idea of eliminating tooth decay really 'speaks to me' if you'll pardon the stretch for a pun.  

It appears that someone went the full commercial development route and marketed the treatment as a "cosmetic" product, thereby avoiding human-trials.  They had to rethink their website and changed some claims... 

As recently as last month, a website for the product included language about cavity prevention. And a previously available press kit stated that “a one-time brushing with this genetically modified bacteria could indefinitely prevent dental cavities.” By the time Lumina became available for pre-orders last week, however, that wording and the press kit had been removed. Silverbook—who does not have a background in dentistry or microbiology—told Undark that his lawyer advised the change in wording on the website, as Lantern Bioworks is bringing the product to market as a cosmetic, meaning it can’t make health claims about Lumina. Cosmetics don’t need to go through the same rigorous trials a drug would. “If anything I said sounded like a medical claim,” Silverbook told Undark in an interview earlier this year, “it wasn’t.”

However, you can't say it was cheap... initially offered at $20,000 for a treatment, they now claim they have reduced that to $250... (before taxes and shipping fees.)

The author reports that "experts" have safety and ethical concerns citing a lack of human trials... adding...

There’s also no data about whether it could spread between people, which brings up questions of informed consent. If someone doesn’t want to risk taking the untested bacteria, but kisses or shares spoons with someone who got the product, would it be transmitted? No one is quite sure.

Well, maybe fairy tales do come true...
https://arstechnica.com/health/2024/04/t...-cavities/

That is a very interesting read, but to answer your question whether or not it's safe, it would seem from the article that there may be issues, such as since we swallow a litre of saliva per day and since Lumina turns the bacteria's waste into alcohol instead of plaque substances it may be an issue for some people with various health-related problems or interactions with medications. Also they are not sure if Lumina also won't eliminate the good bacteria in the mouth or that we won't transfer Lumina (bacteria) to other people via kissing or other means.

They are following 50 people who are using Lumina, do you have any follow up information on those people and particularly Scott Aaronson a Professor at the University of Texas at Austin?

There is also a female dentist I saw somewhere online (I can't recall, can't find her now) who is advocating for not brushing teeth but rather approaching tooth bacteria somewhere along these lines (targeting the bacteria on and between the teeth, not brushing the teeth per se) and the backlash from the dental community is quite aggressive against her or rather this idea.

I just read that they are messing with mouthwash in so much as to target bacteria or certain bacteria as well. If you search the internet, many people are saying that using mouthwash destroys the good mouth bacteria too and that is not recommended.

So maybe we should track down whether or not the scientist followed up on those 50 people who are using the Lumina product to see the results. In the rat studies it seemed to work just fine, but we aren't rats and if they perform any clinical studies on humans then their products automatically is deemed a drug and not a cosmetic, then they won't be able to sell it as they wish. Is making money the only goal here?

There really isn't much to go on from their site.

https://www.luminaprobiotic.com/science
"The real trouble with reality is that there is no background music." Anonymous

Plato's Chariot Allegory
Thanks for the follow-up... I noticed the company has declared its base as Honduras (which isn't in and of itself a bad thing) but it does call into question how remedies for any missteps will be undertake.

The GMO strain of S. mutans seems like a real stretch in my mind.  Simply applying another strain of bacteria to 'displace' naturally occurring S. mutans doesn't ring as a true 'solution' to me.  One would be destined to reapply, reapply, reapply... I'm having a hard time accepting that this 'business' idea was very well thought through. (Although clearly someone bought into it.)
Here's something extra for those wishing more data...

Pharmacodynamic activity of the lantibiotic MU1140

It's one of the four papers they cite... just as a sample...