deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
M.A.S.H
There was a TV series in the 70's that I loved . Watched it every week when it was on. 
I am binging it now and it's keeping me grounded. 

There is nothing I can offer because it was just ..........................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_(TV_series)
I think I watched every episode of M.A.S.H. when I served overseas, in South Korea. Oddly apropos.

Which is quite the thing because it was before "binging shows" or even VCRs. 

It was the daily "social event" of the common room.... all the husbands and wives gathered for cards and TV... which meant M.A.S.H.

My father fought in that war back then... in the same country I was serving in... so M.A.S.H took on an extra dimension of meaning to me.

Oh the stories and locations...
Who would have thought that "Klinger" would be seen as absolutely acceptable in the army these days.

Except when he tried to eat a Jeep perhaps...

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xeFG2TLVyo]

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully. And never hit "SEND" or "REPLY" without engaging brain first.
I never watched it myself, but I remember my half-brother who was in Vietnam twice was watching it, and I have this distinct memory of him throwing a fit because I started watching some Christmas show which I think was Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and he wanted to watch M.A.S.H.

I don't recall how everything turned out, but this was maybe around 1974 and I would've been only seven years old at the time.
The last episode of MASH was the highest rating show ever to air on Australian television, and as such the series is constantly repeated.

I made a comment once on ATS that the reason it was constantly aired is US pro-war propaganda and was ripped to shreds...
I was not here.
M*A*S*H has the uniqueness of being a successful movie but the TV show was so different they maintained it's excellence through so many years and cast changes.  

They were not afraid to take chances, but they made most of the characters likable enough that after a while you would follow them wherever they went 

Henry Blake's final episode was just classic, watched it when it first aired.
His mind was not for rent to any god or government, always hopeful yet discontent. Knows changes aren't permanent, but change is ....                                                                                                                   
Professor
Neil Ellwood Peart  
(05-13-2024, 01:04 AM)BeTheGoddess Wrote: I made a comment once on ATS that the reason it was constantly aired is US pro-war propaganda and was ripped to shreds...

It's still running on some channel or other in the US now.
And, having seen most episodes over the years, it is a definite ANTI-War sentiment.
Poking fun at military this-and-that:  efficiency, sending boys into harms way to capture a hill, sending winter coats to the 4077 in July, the draft. 
And look how some of the officers/brass is portrayed:  Major Burns is a great example.
OMG!!
I watched every episode from the beginning to the end.
Lt. Col Henry Blake to Sherman T. Potter, Trapper John to BJ Hunnicutt, Radar O’Reilly to Cpl. Klinger!!
I loved them all!!
Every day after school it was Gilligan’s Island then M.A.S.H. !!
Thanks for the memories Seeking!!

Tecate
If it’s hot, wet and sticky and it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
I loved watching M*A*S*H when I was a kid. I'd be hanging out with my Grandma after the news was over and we'd watch M*A*S*H, then switch to Nick@Nite when I was in elementary school(I had bad insomina as a kid, still do.) Then in middle school every night after the news was over I'd lie in bed with the tv down really low and my small tv which barely got any signal and try to fall asleep. I was supposed to be sleeping by the time the news came on and my tv was only supposed to be used for the Nintendo, but my Dad rigged it for me-our secret from my Grandma, but I think she knew but let it go- so I just switched to the B-side and I got fuzzy channels(mainly FOX6).  I think Hulu streams it... I should check it out and go down memory lane. Plus I had a huge crush on Alan Alda, lol.