Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Israel/Hamas Ceasefire framework?
I almost hesitated to bring this thread, and I'll tell you why:

1) It's easy to "propose" anything,
2) It's easy to 'accept' anything that your adversaries won't or can't,
3) Media producers will say literally "anything" to get your attention,
4) There is little consistent reporting on this matter,
5) No one is saying anything "informational" about the "proposal" other than it exists.

It started with an errant (and since then removed) headline that a 'ceasefire' had been achieved... poor editing.  Then, a flurry of almost identical verbiage appeared across several news outlets... ("approved" news) which only said that third parties had secured a "sound workable" response from someone in HAMAS... (no names.)  

Since then it has simmered down a bit but here is a stereotypical piece from a US News source...

From Fox News: Hamas says they approve framework for cease-fire agreement with Israel

Hamas has agreed to a cease-fire agreement framework put forward by Egypt and Qatar, the terrorist group announced in a Monday statement.

The White House and State Department could not confirm the agreement as of press time, but a Hamas spokesperson confirmed it to Fox News Digital. Israel has not announced its stance on the framework. If it is approved, however, it would bring an extended pause to the fighting that has raged in Gaza for seven months.

I resent the needless insertion of granting the "terrorist" group a "spokesperson."  If they ARE a terrorist group are we supposed to care to "negotiate" with them?  Clearly this is a disconnect.  The establishment will not openly accept Hamas as a legitimate body of government (I get it) ... but it continues to honor them as if they were.... disconnect.  Politics... I get it.

"The fighter brother Ismail Haniyeh, head of the political bureau of the Hamas movement, had a phone call with the Qatari Prime Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdul Rahman Al-Thani, and with the Egyptian Minister of Intelligence, Mr. Abbas Kamel, and informed them of the Hamas movement’s approval of their proposal regarding the ceasefire agreement," the Hamas statement reads.

I'm left still waiting... WHAT proposal is it?  Do we get to know?  Is it secret or something?

Assuming that Israel knows little more about this "proposal" than I do... It's no wonder they can't comment or commit on it.

Where is the 'reporting' on this?  Nothing more than a press release that could be little more than propaganda fodder?  Really, is the press that incapable of actually working the story?  Or is that not allowed anymore?
I suspect the proposal will result in 50 air strikes as a warm up and the ground invasion of Rafah. Followed by more air striking and ground invading.
In the final analysis, we will learn if this is a simple ploy of public theater, or a bon a fide attempt at peace.  Of course, I will hope for the latter... because the former just complicates matters.

This conflict is impossible to resolve from outside... and those inside have been staunchly entrenched on unwilling ground.

'Theater' never helps things... appearances are for entertainment, not human relations.
Hamas' ceasefire proposal is a highly effective propaganda tool aimed at global public opinion. Israel's political and military leaders' failure to take U.S. and international support into account is one of their strategic blunders.

If the fighting in Gaza was paused or halted, Hamas couldn't run their current propaganda narratives surrounding civilian casualties and people staving. I am surprised by the degree to which Israel has ceded ground to Hamas in the propaganda sphere.
Hamas 'accepted' their own ceasefire proposal.  
In it, there was NOTHING about hostage release.
The proposal just said it was a ceasefire, which 
benefits Hamas and screws Israel.
Israel, of course, isn't going to go for that.
It wasn't a serious cease fire proposal.
It was a propaganda ploy by Hamas because they
know they are about to get hammered in Rafah.
A cease fire isn't real peace.   It's just a chance for
Hamas to reload.  They already said they will never
stop.  Never ever stop.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence
(05-07-2024, 03:48 AM)FlyersFan Wrote: Hamas 'accepted' their own ceasefire proposal.  
In it, there was NOTHING about hostage release.
The proposal just said it was a ceasefire, which 
benefits Hamas and screws Israel.
Israel, of course, isn't going to go for that.
It wasn't a serious cease fire proposal.
It was a propaganda ploy by Hamas because they
know they are about to get hammered in Rafah.
A cease fire isn't real peace.   It's just a chance for
Hamas to reload.  They already said they will never
stop.  Never ever stop.

Thanks for clearing that up!  I hate reading commercial news because it's such a chore to extract reality from their 'journalism.'

I am a bit pleased that my instincts were on the mark this time, but the ploy did have some effect as I was momentarily uplifted thinking of a peace.... then I remembered who is doing the talking and where they get their 'talking points'... and how this is a 'game show' for them and their 'appearances.'

Yeah, even at it's best a cease fire isn't peace... but it is better than children dying for crap they have nothing to do with.
It was a bait and switch.   
Talked about 'all hostages' being released,
but then when the time came, it was 
'dead bodies' released.

I doubt there are many, if any, hostages still alive.
Don't be a useful idiot.  Deny Ignorance.
DEI = Division, Exclusion, and Incompetence