deny ignorance.

Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handguns
Handguns

I've owned a variety of these over the past couple decades from .22s to .44s. The .22s might be fun for some target practicing at the range, a gravel pit, or anytime you're out driving and fairly certain you've landed yourself in the middle of nowhere, and I've only done the latter once or twice ensuring that I have a decent backstop. It's a fairly brief event and after a few rounds it's like "Okay, I think we should hop in the car now and get the hell out of here.".

I had a Ruger 9mm for a while, but didn't really care for it because at any distance more than a few yards the groups start to spread out considerably, and I later concluded that was due to the short barrel length which for me would put that firearm or any other like it in a category of strictly self-defense. The Taurus Judge was the same, but that particular firearm would take .45 Colt or .410 shotgun shells so the barrel wasn't rifled which isn't much good for accuracy at a distance either.

These days I'm at the extremes with a S & W .22 and a Ruger .44 Super Blackhawk Hunter. You can probably get away with using the .22 without a headset but with the .44 the headset absolutely needs to go anywhere the gun goes. I accidently fired a .44 at the range one day without a headset, and I'm pretty certain I won't be making that mistake again, but on the other hand, I let a marine fire off a few rounds with a S & W 629 Classic I had(Dirty Harry gun), and he declined the headset saying that "his ears were trained". Whatever that means - crazy.

I'd like to ditch the .44 though and go back to a .357. I keep the .44 in the car with me for self-defense, but I do think it's a bit much. I did go to a local gunshop looking for a trade but most of what they had looked pretty used so I opted out. Some of these used handguns not only just look used but have probably had the piss fired out of them, so it's not a bad idea to check the cylinder(if there is one) for excessive play. If you try and wiggle it and it moves then "move" on to something else. I'm not exactly sure what the allowable play should be in a measurement, but if I had to guess then maybe a millimeter or less.
(05-16-2024, 06:29 AM)CCoburn Wrote: Under Conspiracies. Wrong category.

I'll change the category to "Main Forums". You were correct. :)
[Image: colorblocksig.png]
(05-16-2024, 07:15 AM)TSK Wrote: I'll change the category to "Main Forums". You were correct. :)

I just "jumped the gun" on that one(pun intended). A little too eager to get started with my morning yerba mate shot and a brief essay. Whipped it out and then came the deja vu tainted epiphany that this post ain't right for this parent category.

Good resolve though I guess. I just edited and saved the original.

(05-16-2024, 06:29 AM)CCoburn Wrote: The Taurus Judge was the same, but that particular firearm would take .45 Colt or .410 shotgun shells so the barrel wasn't rifled which isn't much good for accuracy at a distance either.

Correction:

I had one of these back around 2002 and I do recall some commotion about the rifling of the barrel, but it wasn't that the barrel wasn't rifled; it was the fact that we were shooting shotgun shells through a barrel that was rifled for a .45. That's what I think that was all about.

Apparently a non-rifled barrel would have made that particular firearm illegal.