Login to account Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Climate Scam
(04-05-2024, 09:27 PM)pianopraze Wrote: I’m much more worried about the coming ice age.

Nimoy said it so I believe it!

Full Episode here:
[Video: https://youtu.be/RQRqr9_jw5I]
(03-31-2024, 08:02 PM)argentus Wrote: Instead of mandating "no single-use plastics", we should be working on reusing and repurposing those plastics.

I absolutely agree.

Sadly, the market for commercial products is fuelled by greed and part of that is related to how products are marketed. The amount of superfluous materials used is indicative of how much is spent on that marketing to produce, promote and sell products that rely on individual packaging that is completely non standard.

A set of standardised packaging could solve the problem, but the large producers wouldn't be able to handle not being seen more that others on a store shelf or an online marketplace.

Imagine for instance, all packaging as cubic. This saves space for transport, storage and shelf area in shops and in homes. Then, imagine standardised quantities from say 10ml right up to say 10 litres for grociries as an example, meaning all quantities however mixed could stack and store in smaller spaces.

All packaging is ultimately recyclable, but reusable FIRST if possible. Glass, metal and plastic used again and again by consumers who return to a store for REFILLS. The cost is saved on replenishing and the insentive is there to do so.

Just an idea, but unless we overcome the greed of branding everything to be as different as possible there is no hope for a sustainable future without endless landfill and pollution in the world so many claim to care about.

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.
I congratulate you on a well thought out idea.  Thumbup

I only wish that the business paradigm in our country wasn't solely centered on profit growth.  You see, like many other great ideas, if it won't make the rich richer, it's not considered "viable business" and must be marginalized if not utterly destroyed - as a waste of 'resources.'

I think it might only happen if there are business 'at war' with each other... (remember "price wars?"  When the profit was sacrificed to attract your competitions' consumers?  I think it doesn't really happen anymore... I wonder why?)

"Virtue signaling" via "climate panic" made it possible for all manner of abuses to occur... and most of them have happened, right before our eyes.  We should be living easier, and longer... were it not profitable to keep things as they are.
(05-01-2024, 04:39 PM)Maxmars Wrote: I only wish that the business paradigm in our country wasn't solely centered on profit growth.  You see, like many other great ideas, if it won't make the rich richer, it's not considered "viable business" and must be marginalized if not utterly destroyed - as a waste of 'resources.'

It would take a smart business person who could drive the eco-value philosophy home while saving consumers money, giving them the chance to "virtue signal" while making enough profit to keep the ball rolling to start franchising the concept and to create a new way of consuming, transporting and storing everyday goods in many countries. Heck!.. Imagine how much home space would be freed up in just a kitchen alone with smaller fridges and freezers and fewer cupboards? Just food for example and a simple container without all the wasted space of extra packaging. Start withy the essentials to prove how well it can work and maybe the big brand names would jump on board with less resistance.

I wish I had invented "Tetrapak" all those years ago.

In the "old days" there were shops with jars and boxes on shelves and sacks on the floor. Most purchases went in paper bags. Health and safety killed that one but it was a wonderful experience that gave personal service, good value products and a sense of tradition that cannot be found these days. That kind of scenario with limited modern packaging would be inspirational again me thinks. Evolution of the self-serve shopping but in the fixed dimension packaging I mentioned earlier.

Shopping carts would be smaller too and get a more than needed makeover from the sort that ends up drifting around car parks and lying at the bottom of rivers.

Perhaps I'll start a creative project to come up with some ideas. I used to work in packaging and design. Might be fun and the ideas are whirling at the moment.

Beer

Wisdom knocks quietly, always listen carefully.